Jerry Gels and Ben Romer Built the IGA Supermarket in 1950. In 1950, R & G market was a Clover Farm Store. Then in 1952, it was serviced by the White Villa people and finally in 1957 the IGA name was attached with their operation. Jerry Gels and Ben Romer remained partners between 1950 and 1958. Romer left in 1958 to go into the hardware business at 241 East Main Street. Gels continued in the supermarket business. In 1972, Charlie Gels, Jerry’s son, took over the family operation of the store. Outside remodeling has changed the looks, but courteous service still continues. Fresh meats, produce, in-store deli made pizza and sandwiches, state liquor agency in an expanded carry-out department we key and new features of the store. The year 1985 brought a reconditioned Main Street and in turn, added sidewalks to the east part of town. In 2004, Gels IGA moved to its new location at 451 Stachler Dr. – on the north side of town right off of 118. The new facility offered a larger space, gas pumps, car wash and much, much more. Charlie’s eldest son, Greg Gels, purchased the old building on East Main Street and turned it into Three Generations Bar & Restaurant.
Gels IGA is celebrating 61 years in business!
Thank You & STOP and SAVE year round!